Skip to main content

OSR Guide For The Perplexed - A Questionnaire!

It's Friday and I've had a long and hard week at work. About halfway through a hastily constructed Manhattan, I thought, "What better time to write a poorly conceived post on my blog!" Having just joined MeWe as part of the crazy Google+ Exodus, I was clicking around and saw some replies to this post. Below is my sad little attempt.

1. One article or blog entry that exemplifies the best of the Old School Renaissance for me:
Quick Primer for Old School Gaming (not an original answer but it sums a lot of stuff up for me)

2. My favorite piece of OSR wisdom/advice/snark:
From Moldvay Basic "While it is not possible to cover everything that might happen in a game, the ideas here give a solid framework to build on." Just enough rules to get you going. That's my jam.

3. Best OSR module/supplement:
Sailors on the Starless Sea

4. My favorite house rule (by someone else):
I really love Shields Shall Be Splintered

5. How I found out about the OSR:
James Wall's videos on YouTube alerted me to DCC and I've been down the OSR rabbit hole ever since. I'm mean I started playing D&D in 1978 so I guess that's OG OSR, but after a long hiatus it got me back into the hobby in a big way.

6. My favorite OSR online resource/toy:
https://purplesorcerer.com/

7. Best place to talk to other OSR gamers:
Well it was G+ until a few days ago. And I don't really understand Discord because I'm old. So I guess MeWe?

8. Other places I might be found hanging out talking games:
I guess at work since there are a lot of D&D players there. Well they all play 5e. Which is fine. I mean, yeah, 5e is fine and good.............but I like OSR stuff better.

9. My awesome, pithy OSR take nobody appreciates enough:
OK, so people always harp on about Railroad vs. Sandbox. Attention most D&D players, your character arc is a total railroad. But there's nothing wrong with that. This is not really a cohesive thought at all, but I do think a lot of people cry "Railroad" when part of their true motivation is to try to break the game. I think people underestimate all the great modules out there. (Oh man this answer is neither pithy nor awesome, but it's what fell out of my fingers tonight...)

10. My favorite non-OSR RPG:
Tales from the Loop

11. Why I like OSR stuff:
Because it's all about the adventure. Rather than looking at your character sheet for permission to do something because there's been a complicated mechanic written for it, I'd rather be really engaged in the story and be able to do whatever I can think of.

12. Two other cool OSR things you should know about that I haven’t named yet:
This article able diplomacy checks is cool. Also this procedure for play is pretty interesting.

13. If I could read but one other RPG blog but my own it would be:
http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/

14. A game thing I made that I like quite a lot is:
I'm still working on it and it's an OSR rules light system. Coming soon....
But I also made:Mayhem at the Meadery and a whole bunch of other stuff I haven't finished.

15. I'm currently running/playing:
DCC RPG, Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed., B/X D&D..............and also D&D 5e

16. I don't care whether you use ascending or descending AC because:
I sort of don't care but ascending makes so much more sense.

17. The OSRest picture I could post on short notice:
Oh yeah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into the Odd Character Sheets

Lately I've been pretty obsessed with Into the Odd  by Chris McDowall .

The Black Hack Character Sheet

OK so apparently I really like making character sheets.  I've got another one - this time for The Black Hack.

B/X D&D Character Sheet

OK one more character sheet...